Monday, January 14, 2008

Creating a New Schedule

Hyrum started school on Wednesday of last week and along with a new semester comes a new schedule. We have just started to put Kyla on a new schedule (mainly because we really want her to sleep ALL the way through the night and because we only have one car so she has to sleep after I take Hyrum to class). It has gone really well so far. We've been waking her up at 7 am and while she plays, Hyrum and I exercise, get ready and do a couple other things. I put her down for her first nap at 10 am (there was no crying today!) and then she wakes up at noon. I feed her lunch and then we play for a few hours. Her next nap is at 3:30, she sleeps for an hour, eats, plays and then bedtime at 8:00pm. So far it's been working out well so hopefully it'll keep going!

I've been starting to wean her now too and she's kind of weaning herself a little bit also which helps A LOT! We're down to 3 nursing periods a day and 1 at night which is a huge improvement from even a couple weeks ago. We've put her on a feeding schedule too which I think is helping with the weaning process. I only nurse her every 5 hours, or a titch longer if she can make it. It's great. Anyway, I really enjoy the new schedules we've set up for ourselves. Next step for Kyla is sleeping through the night!! (Well, we are really hoping anyway!) Wish us luck and any advice on weaning or sleeping through the night would be appreciated! Thanks :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So I'm a mean mom. When I stopped nursing, I just stopped all together. Mostly because I had dried up and it wasn't working our for any of us. We would do it on a day that Steve could be home all day, and he would give the baby the bottle. I just stayed away from the baby all that day. And it worked, the next day both kids just wanted a bottle and not me. As for sleeping, it's ok to let her cry. Crying is just fine. We do a whole bed time routine and put them to bed. If they cry, then we wait a half hour before going in. Then we give them a bottle and try it again. Usually after a couple of weeks, each child would cry for less than a minute and go to bed. Or would just go to bed after they finished their bottle. That's what we have done with both kids and it works for us. But it might not work for you. We are tough parents, and can stand crying. Try different things and do what's best for you. Dr. Sears.com is a good resource on both subjects. Good luck!!

The Graffs said...

Wow! We have been doing a like the same thing with Makella! I couldnt stand her not sleeping all night anymore, so we decided to get tough. Her routine is this: Nap at 10. I read her a story or two and then just put her down. And she is there until noon. Then she has another nap at about 3-3:30 til 5. Then bedtime at 8. Its amazing! Even on bad days, she only cried for like half an hour. Which is sooo much better than when she was younger and she hardly wakes up in the night. This week she has only woken up once or twice for a bottle in the night. Its a total change from 2 weeks ago. So it sound slike you are doing good. Just keep up with it. Soon she will get to the point where she wont even cry when you put her down. And Ive found if you regulate their sleeping so they get enough and can fall asleep on their own, they are much happier! Good job Amiee! I cant really help you too much with the weaning, but it sounds like you;re doing great! I hope it helps you guys as much as it did us. Oh, it also helped Makella be a bit more independant because she doesnt really need us coming in to hold her every hour. Anyways...this is long...but hopefully that helps. Good job and good luck with the weaning! I miss you!

Charlotte said...

When I weaned Sam, sleeping through the night just happened... no special tricks. It seems like they just came hand in hand.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

sigh... I feel so left out... :)