So this is probably more of a personal post but I just wanted to write my thoughts down, even if they don't make sense. You can choose to read it or not!
I was reading in D&C 50:22 this morning. I've read this scripture many times before but this time it seemed different to me. It was so beautiful. I've been reading commentary on the Doctrine and Covenants so far as I've been reading through it this year and what it said made this passage so much more beautiful.
Here's the scripture:
"Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together."
Here is the commentary:
"The speaker and hearer together must be guided by the voice that comes from God's presence. Then there is mutual understanding and comprehension. That principle was beautifully told to the Prophet Joseph Smith at the very beginning of the Church. The doctrine is set forth in "D&C section 50, of the book of Doctrine and Covenants, in which is explained that when both the hearer and the speaker are moved upon by the same power and spirit the greatest joy is attained. . . . ["D&C 50:22"D&C 50:23Sec. 50:22-23, quoted.]
"When apostasy comes, it is because the spirit of revelation departs from us. The wire is broken between us and the source of truth. We cannot understand, though truth be spoken, since we are not possessed of the spirit of truth. We misunderstand and misinterpret.
"There is only one way . . . to obtain and possess this mighty spirit . . . which guides the Church today and enlightens every soul, and that is by obeying strictly, with all our might, as far as we poor mortal beings are able, the laws of the Gospel. If we obey, if we practice in our lives the truths given us, then as certainly as we do that, the enlivening spirit of light, of revelation, of understanding will come to us, comprehension will enter our minds and hearts and we shall know the true joy of being Latter-day Saints." (John A. Widtsoe, CR, October 1934, p. 11.)
It just seems so beautiful to me because it's so true. When the speaker and the hearer are both in tune with the Spirit, ready to learn, and feel the Spirit the "greatest joy is attained."
I just find it so amazing that we have so many simple things to follow in the Gospel and if all we do is obey and try our best to do what is right, we will be able to know the "true joy of being Latter-day Saints." Who would not want to have true joy? I have felt it many times in my life. I think this scripture is not only true for those teaching or giving talks in church, but for those who are teaching us about life. For those people in our lives who are friends to us and give us advice. For parents who teach us how to do everyday things. As a mother, a wife, a daughter, a friend, I hope I can have this Spirit with me always and that me and my children, friends, and family will have an openness and willingness to learn from each other so that we can all have and feel that true joy by being a part of this wonderful Gospel. I know it is true and I am so grateful to be apart of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints!!
No comments:
Post a Comment