Thursday, September 4, 2008

Most Talented Singers in my Opinion

Being a Music Major I have been around many very talented people.  Here are some of my top favorite "famous" singers that get my vote for being the most talented.  Although there are MANY talented singers that I've met personally that might even be more talented than the ones I have "voted" for, this is just for fun and people that everyone knows. :)  Someday I hope I can be a better singer and be just as talented and amazing as all these people.  I have a long ways to go though but at least it's a good goal right?  Who gets your vote?

#1--Josh Groban

Do I even need to say anything about him?  He sings in languages he doesn't even know and then wants to study and learn them all.  Here's a quote by the talent himself:  "After using four different languages on an album, it's tough to decide which one I'm gonna actually learn to speak. I always study the lyric, make sure I know what I'm singing, and try to get the pronunciation as perfect as possible."  HERE is a video of his song "You Raise Me Up".  
#2--Celine Dion
 I've always been a huge fan of Celine.  Not only is she beautiful but she has such passion and such a full and vibrant voice.  I'd love to take lessons from her. HERE is a video of one of her songs.


#3--Whitney Houston
 Big fan of Whitney.  I know she's probably considered old school now, but I still think she has amazing talent. Whatever happened to her anyway?  HERE is a live video.


#4--Bianca Ryan
This girl is impressive.  I first saw her on a TV Show called "America's Got Talent" when she was 11.  All I had to say then was, WOW.  She sounded so mature singing wise.  If I didn't know she was 11, I seriously would have thought her to be 30!  She wasn't perfect but definitely room for improvement. Now she's 14 years old and has just gotten even better since then!  I own one of her CDs and she just impresses me with every song.  So inspirational and so talented!  Here's a clip of her singing on "American's Got Talent".

#5--Mariah Carey
I've liked some of her songs, but never was a huge fan of hers.  Don't get me wrong though because she has talent!  I put her in the #5 spot because even though I don't necessarily like everything about her, she has a vocal range like no other. She can sing almost 6 octaves (I'm not even kidding.  I looked it up to make sure.) and anyone who can sing that many deserves to be one of the most talented singers out there.  Even though this doesn't show her range, here's a live video of her in 1993.

#6--Charlotte Church
I don't know if many of you know who Charlotte Church is.  My mom actually owned a tape of her I think and she was known for her classical singing at age 11.  Another young artist.  She is from Wales so is mainly a British Artist.  In 2005 she switched from classical to pop and has been a big hit in the Welsh pop industry.  I haven't heard her a lot, but I just remember listening to her a few times when I was younger and I just remember how beautiful and talented her voice was.  She also has sang a duet called "The Prayer" with Josh Groban on his first CD when she was 16.  HERE is a clip of them singing together.

#7--Alicia Keys
She's never been a favorite of mine style wise (mainly because I'm not a huge R&B or rap fan) but she has an amazing voice, was trained and plays piano extremely well AND writes all her own music.  Plus she plays and sings at the same time at her own concerts.  How can that NOT be talent?!  Here's another video.

#8--Melinda Doolittle
All those American Idol Fans out there should know who I'm talking about.  She's had talent from the beginning!  Again, I'm not a huge R&B fan which is what she ended up doing but her voice reminds me of those black girl attitude styles that I absolutely love! Click Here (this isn't her best performance ever but it's showing you why I like her.)

#9--Hyrum Denney
Okay okay, so he's my husband...so what?!  Even when I barley knew him I thought he was a fantastic singer.  The very first time I heard him sing was in our vocal class and I honestly thought he could have been, if not already, one of those people you hear off of an EFY CD.  I loved it!  Hyrum's singing voice fits my style and what I like.  His composing and arranging skills are just as amazing and he puts so much emotion and feeling into it.  He's a close tie to Kenneth Cope but since Hyrum's my husband and he's written songs especially for me and because I love him dearly, he beats Kenneth by far. :)  I unfortunately don't have any of his good music recordings on this computer so here is him and his group singing for an Oreo Contest.  It'll have to do for now I guess.  CLICK HERE

#10--Kenneth Cope
Lets face it, some of these LDS singers and writers should be a lot more famous then they already are.  They have the Spirit in their songs which I guess should have made Kenneth my #1.  He puts such emotion and feeling into each song it's hard not to have him as a favorite. Here's his Never A Better Hero.

Well there ya have it folks.  Completly random and completely my own opinion.  I was looking for something to do so thought this seemed like a fun idea. Hope you thought it was fun too!  Who gets your vote?!

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Josh totally gets my vote... sorry, Hyrum. I totally love his voice...mmmm. yummy.