We LOVE General Conference time ( for more information on what LDS General Conference is CLICK HERE) because that means we get to have fun as a family and be spiritually uplifted. When Hyrum and I first got married we made up a few traditions that we thought would be fun for our future family. We thought of a really fun way we could get our children to be excited and enjoy listening to the Lord's prophets and apostles. Here's what we do:
Friday night we have a fun dinner together, rent a movie and set up a tent in our living room (or wherever we can that's inside). We watch a movie together in the tent and then read this scripture which goes along with why we set up the tent. We have the door of the tent facing the TV which would be the temple and then also because the prophet will speak to us through the TV when conference is on. Here is a picture of us in our tent!
Saturday we watch conference together as a family. We have lots of treats and snacks. Before conference starts, we give each of the kids a little gift (something from DI or the $ store) that they can play with during or after conference (depending on the age). This represents a wonderful gift that Christ gives us to be able to listen to conference and hear His words. Saturday night we sleep in the tent again and wake up watching conference in the living room.
Sunday we spend time together watching conference, playing conference BINGO, coloring pictures and doing activities of the prophet and other conference things, etc.
Monday for Family Night we talk about what we learned about conference and have a family testimony meeting.
There ya have it. Our General Conference SPACTACULAR Event! :) Feel free to use any of the ideas we have to help your family enjoy this special time. I'm sure we will be thinking of more ideas as time goes on to add to this event.
6 comments:
That's a way cute tradition! I think we might have to steal that one about the tent. I think the kids would love it and would help them to sit down and watch Conference. You guys are awesome!
Okay, I read your blog, but have never commented. I came out of the wood work to tell you how brilliant the tent idea is, very brilliant and I can't wait to steal it!
Jill (walker)Erb
P.S. Hi Hyrum.
Hyrum told the guys in priesthood about this, and Jeff loved it. So Jeff wanted to set up our tent for general conference. Thanks for the great idea. We will probably do it all as Hannah gets older. You guys are awesome.
These are REALLY good ideas!! I like that you set that as a goal, before you got married so that now that you do have a little girl, you can help her to learn the importance of listening to the prophets and apostles!! That is really cute!! Good job!!!
What an awesome tradition! You guys are awesome!
What clever ideas. I wish I was creative like that when you were growing up, but of course, we weren't able to get conference on TV when you were a kid like you can today. Sounds like a fun way to do it and a great way to enjoy conference, especially with little children. Kyla is so photogenic because when ever I see her she has the biggest smile.
Post a Comment