Thursday, January 22, 2009

Just a little break

Okay so don't think I'm completly ridiculous for thinking I could potty train a brand new 2 year old! Other people do it all the time right?  She had all the potty training signs except for one or 2 so I assumed she was pretty much ready. 
This last week has been completely INSANE!  Between accidents every 10-15min, Kyla's "Terrible Two" temper tantrums which started right during potty training, and all of my crazy pregnancy hormones it has been one heck of an emotional rollercoaster!!!!!  After noticing Kyla wasn't progressing in the potty training department for a couple days, we decided to take a little "Potty Training Break".  Probably mostly for my sanity and at least until my emotions get under control...if that ever happens!  haha.  Maybe I'm just not patient enough or creative enough to deal with this mess as of now or maybe Kyla just needs a few more weeks before we try picking it up again.  Either way, we're not totally stopping the potty training but just not pushing as hard as before.  I still take her to the potty after meals and sometimes in between, asks her if she needs to go and if she's dry and still am giving her treats for every good potty thing she does.  The last day or 2 since the break, I have already felt SOOO much better emotionally, Kyla's sleeping better at night (because since potty training, she's been refusing to sleep at night or during naps which means the whole family didn't get much sleep the last week), and now we just have to work on that "Terrible Two Syndrome"! :) 

Anyway, you can laugh at me if you want or think that I'm a quitter but really...I'm laughing at myself, and I'm not totally quitting...and besides, if you had all of this on your plate dished up to you all of a sudden, you'd feel a little overwhelmed too wouldn't you?  WOULDN'T YOU?!  Well, nevertheless she'll eventually be potty trained and at least we tried when we THOUGHT we were all ready.  At least for next time we can all know what to expect.  Okay, enough of this totally rambling post...you'll be hearing more about this in a few weeks or months I'm sure.

As for other news...Hyrum's brother Kenne returned home from his mission from the Houston Texas East Mission!  He came in yesterday and Kyla and I went to see him come off the plane.  It was so fun to see him!  Kyla only met him before he left and she was only 2 weeks old but she gave him hugs anyway when we saw him...even though she seemed a little nervous!  It probably helped that we've shown her pictures and have talked and prayed about him many times.  Sorry no pictures this post.

Anyway, WELCOME HOME KENNE!!!  We're so excited to have you back!

7 comments:

Janelle & Brandon said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, I have barely even attempted to potty train Kolby yet, mostly because it sounds like so much work, So you are definitely ahead of us in the potty training department. How have you been feeling with your pregnancy? I hope you a great week!

The Graffs said...

Its ok Amiee! I would have done the same thing. Next time will probably be much better since you will totally know what to do!

Rick and Jenny Runyan said...

I probably would have given up sooner if I were you, so don't feel too bad! (that many accidents would be a lot of laundry, so that alone would make me want to stop =) )I'm glad things are getting back to normal for all of you now, especially in the sleep department. And I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one whose daughter has tantrums! Hope you're feeling good!

Grammy Leigh Ann said...

Amiee, this too will pass. You are doing a fine job and it will all fit into place as it should soon I'm sure. Not pushing her too much and taking a break will help; she knows what to do and will get it very soon. You are an amazing mother and are doing a wonderful job with Kyla and remember she is your best friend so be patient and loving and it will click. xo

Kerry and Brenda Denney said...

You are awesome, little momma :)

The Martins said...

I just have to say that Kyla is SO much fun in nursery. She is so polite and so sweet, and her cute little voice makes me smile. I think that's great that you are taking a break from potty training! I haven't had to potty train a kid yet, but I've heard it can be pretty crazy. Good for you, I'm glad you're taking time off.

Mark and Ash Babcock said...

I don't think your insane for potty training and I am trying it with Daniel right now. My mom's theory is that you put them in underwear--never use pullups-- and don't go anywhere for a week, take them to the bathroom every 1/2 hr and at the end of the week you will have changed the sheets every day, gone through 5 outfits every day, and cried while cleaning up poop/pee everyday...but your child will be potty trained!----a little note---- this has yet to work for me. HAHAHA, good luck! Hope you keep your sanity! Gotta love the terrible 2's!